Wednesday, April 25, 2007

A Three Trip Project



We rate our DIY projects on the number of times we have to run to Home Depot during the project. Our latest endevour, building a pergola on the patio, only resulted in three trips. A number we consider to be a highly successful project. Sandpaper to fit the neighbors electic sander was the first, renting a more powerful drill the second. Our drill just was not going to make it through the six inch posts. And the third, I thought was going to result in," What on earth did you come home with a two foot metal pipe for??" Brian sends me to find an extention piece for the drill to be able to use a socket, and I come home with the metal pipe. I thought the guy at Home Depot was just not understanding what I needed, but in the end, he is the Home Depot guy, and they are generally right. Home Depot guy: 1, Teuschers: 0. The metal pipe was fitted on the end of the socket wrench to give more leverage on screwing the lag screws in. The drill, when fitted with a socket wouldn't have been able to get the screws into the think wood.

I'm sure everyone is thrilled to know they won't stub their toes on the metal post holders, which have been sunk in the patio for the last year in anticipation of this project. The kids toys had been strategically placed to minimize the stubbing. We just have to nail the rafters on top this weekend. Just.. is the operative word. We may have a six trip project by the time we are finished!

2 comments:

Natalie said...

I can't believe you made it through with so few trips! Seriiously, I admire that. Sometimes I think I could drive to Home Depot in my sleep!

Anonymous said...

The backyard looks great. The trees are getting so big. Enjoy the heat. Love you, Jenn