Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Lessons from Lot and Abraham

I have had a great desire to study and really learn from the Old Testament this year. It has never seemed to captivate me, but I believe it primarily stems from my own lack of desire than anything else! Many know that my kids don't watch much if any TV, and so I have had to come to a new level of acceptance in this situation. Curious George is my babysitter, and for that I am grateful for DVR. Zach doesn't nap, so George fills in for a bit.

Here are two thoughts to ponder:
1) This was posed to us by one of the GD teachers, who was sharing a comment his wife made (thanks Jennie) As we look at Lot we first find him pitching his tent towards Sodom, later on he is actually living in Sodom. When commanded to leave he takes only his wife and two daughters, the other children and members of his family won't leave. How do our actions, desires and priorities affect our chidren in the short term and long? Lots choice to live near Sodom didn't seem to have a huge impact at first, but then as the enticements of the city beckoned them closer and closer, until they were in the city. At this point his children are in the thick of it. And when commanded to leave they won't. So, what are your children learning from YOU? how are your thoughts, actions, attitudes going to affect your children in the future?

2) Look at the realities of Abraham and Isaac- Abraham was OLD. Besides the symbolic nature of Isaac carrying the wood, could Abraham have realistically carried all the wood up the mountain after traveling for so many days? Isaac was in his prime- healthy and strong. Isaac could have easily said I am not laying down on this altar, and physically he could have overcome Abraham and walked down the mountain. But he didn't. He ALLOWED his father to bind him to the altar. So this begs the following question in my mind- How had Abraham and Sarah taught him? I'm sure in the course of the conversation between Abraham and Isaac, Abraham told Isaac he had been commanded by the Lord to do this. Isaac had to have be taught well, have a firm testimony and have great faith in his father and the Lord. What am I doing to teach my children to have great faith and believe in God? Am I teaching them what they need to know to build that testimony? Will they recognize and be obedient to those things, whatever it may be, that come from the Lord?

Anyway a little food for thought.

I have also been reading the book Women of the Old Testament by Camille Olson- a great book if you are interested in another perspective of these Old Testament stories we study.

1 comment:

Lesley said...

I got that book (Women of the Old Testament) for Christmas and LOVED it!! I discovered several women I didn't even know about and gained a greater perspective on women I thought I knew well. I've already asked for her follow up (Women in the Savior's Lineage) when it comes out.